Friday, June 20, 2008

Dena Cucci Has Got The Rhythm

Dena Cucci was one of our first and major influences as a DJ when we were first starting 10 years ago...so, it's only fitting that we feature her as our first DJ interview on our blog! In addition to DJ'ing all around the country, she has released awesome original creations and has turned out super hot remixes. As she prepares for RI Pride events with Chris Harris, we had a chance to catch up with our good friend, Dena...

Perry Twins: You just spun Boston Pride at a huge block party and you then reunited with Chris Cox for the closing Pride party. How did the events go?

Dena: This year was amazing! There was an amazing turnout for the block party! at least 10,000 people! Chris Cox was amazing as always...and this year...Tracy Young, Abel, Escape, Joe Bermudez, Bobby Shaw and Jipsta were at the closing party. It was a great weekend!
Perry Twins: Your hometown pride is happening this weekend in Rhode Island. Are you looking forward to it?

Dena: YES! I am spinning at Girl Spot on Saturday night and also at the first ever ChrisHarrispresents.com Sunday block party!
Perry Twins: We're excited to see so many of your awesome remixes released recently (E.G. Daily, Jipsta, Erin Hamilton, etc.). What's your process in the studio when remixing a song?

Dena: I listen to the vocal and lay it over a drum beat. Then I layer percussion and a bassline. the last thing I do is add a synth and cymbals. The vocals really decide the energy of my remix.
Perry Twins: You always have such great rhythms in your productions which may come from you having been a drummer.
How did you make the transition from being a drummer in a band to dj'ing and producing?

Dena: It just happened! I remember being fascinated with mixing and matching beats. I quit drumming because it wasn't fun anymore due to band issues. From that point on, I redirected my energy to dj-ing. I loved it then and I love it now!!!!!!!!!!!
Perry Twins: What are some of your upcoming projects we can look forward to?

Dena: I just finished a remix for Jonat Vega called "Work Me" on HMSP records. I have another remix coming out in a few weeks of a remix of an old Bryan Ferry song called "Kiss and Tell" by Win, A Clint Crisher Remix of "Run Baby Run" and I'm currently working on a mix for Kate Perry, "I Kissed A Girl".

Check out Dena at www.myspace.com/djdena

www.myspace.com/djdenarmx

and her music at www.perfectbeat.com/ (including her great remix of Activate My Body)

No comments: