Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Paul Brewer Living The Sweet Life

The muli-talented Paul Brewer of Sweet Feet Music is keeping busy with exciting new projects and we recently had a chance to ask a few questions!

Perry Twins: HOW DID YOU FIRST GET INVOLVED IN PRODUCING MUSIC ?

Paul Brewer: As the son of a preacher man, I was raised on hymns and gospel music. My love of music started with Sundays at the Pentecostal Temple in Philadelphia. If there was a choir event or a play, I was there! In my twenties, I worked at a dance music store called Turntable Mary's in Portland, Oregon. I picked up some part time jobs doing make -up at photo studios so that I could buy audio production books and mixing programs, started teaching myself computer music production. Once I moved to San Francisco, I was finally able to take some audio production courses. And so here we are today . . .

PT: WHO ARE YOUR MUSICAL INFLUENCES?

PB: There are really too many. The first album I owned was The Magic of Abba, but my biggest influences would have to be Erasure and Andy Bell, Annie Lennox, Robert Miles, Dead or Alive, Cocteau Twins, Sique Sique Sputnik, Delerium ,Claudia Brucken and, of course, Kristine W !! A huge portion of my music collection is also 90's italio: Cappella, 49ers, Datura. In fact Datura remixed our first single, “I Was Made For Lovin’ You,” which will also be the b-side of our forthcoming release, “Maybe God is Tryin’ to Tell You Somethin’.”

PT: WHAT WAS THE PROCESS OF RECORDING “MAYBE GOD IS TRYIN' TO TELL YOU SOMETHIN'” LIKE?

PB: “Maybe God” was my favorite song from the movie The Color Purple. I could relate to Shug Avery, being a preacher’s kid in the entertainment industry. The recording process started in my basement. My husband at the time built me a vocal booth and Shakti laid down some demo vocals there. It wasn’t until I met up with producer Leo Frappier that we added new life to the track; Shakti came back in the studio and laid down a new lead vocal. Jeanie Tracy heard it when she went in to record some vocals with Leo at his studio, Baysounds, in San Francisco. Long story made short, she agreed to sing backing vocals on the track. And then by a twist of fate - Pepper MaShay signed on as well. Recording with Jeanie and Pepper was amazing, to say the least. great people to work with!

PT: HOW DID THE VIDEO SHOOT FOR "MAYBE GOD IS TRYIN' TO TELL YOU SOMETHIN'” GO, AND WHEN DO WE GET TO SEE IT?

PB: The video shoot was a two-day event with artist and director Evan Cowden. (I helped him previously with The Perry Twins video “Activate My Body” and ALTAR featuring Jeanie Tracy’s “Everybody up" as well.) The first day of filming “Maybe God” involved fashion shots in Arizona. The second day, in San Franscisco, was a lot more intense. Jorge from MAC did make-up on Shakti , Jeanie and Pepper. I put a little makeup on Xaiver Toscano, and he did some dancing for us as well. We filmed at LeftSpace , got tons of looks with the girls, and had a great time catching up with each other. “Maybe God” will be in clubs very soon and making it around LOGO in the very near future. The video premier party will be Sunday Sept 7th @ Bench and Bar in Oakland !

PT: WHAT OTHER UPCOMING PROJECTS ARE YOU WORKING ON?

PB: I’m involved in lots of projects at the moment. Starting a project called "Crayons ForCambodia." My goal is to bring art supplies to the orphans at the Sunrise Village in Cambodia. We have been working on Sweet Feet Music's first remix album “Diva2Diva”.
Some new tracks are on thier way with Silvio Gigante from the UK and a track with 'big daddy' Royal Lush. We are continuing to work with San Francisco’s DIVA Angelique X . That girl can SING!!! Our album will include remixes Leo Frappier and I have produced as 'The Sweet Team'. Some revamped versions of Evan Cowden's hit “No One is to Blame” (coronation dub mix part 2 ) and Tweaka Turner's Space Tranny, Martin Degville, formerly of Sigue Sigue Sputnik, has sent us some of his music and will be remixing a track for his new incarnation: Sputnik 2. 'The Sweet Team vs Julian Marsh' is bringing Vicious Pink's “Fetish,” back to the dance floor. We are collaborating on this project with Julian Marsh and he has already laid down a skeleton track for the remix. Waiting on the original tracks from Abbey Road and once the mixes are finished, clearance from EMI UK. No rest for the wicked! So that’s what is coming up. Thanks for the opportunity to share what is going on .Zadia aka Paul Brewer
Sweet Feet Music
the sweet team

No comments: