Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Interview with DJ JST

Perry Twins: How did you get started as a DJ?

DJ JST: I think it started actually when I was 5, and my parents gave me the best gift that I could possibly imagine, a violin. I feel so fortunate for having parents who sought out a way for me to seek my creative potential at such an early age. From that point on music just become a part of me. I continued on with the violin and went to the University of Michigan’s School of Music to study Electronic Music Composition. It was also at that time, that I really got into dance music. But after school, I opted for the financially stable route and got into Information Technology, and left my many years of music training behind. I eventually got tired of living the average 9-5 life, and really needed to get back into music. The whole DJ thing seemed like a marketable path for me to take. So in 2004, I just went out one day and bought the equipment. It was very much like practicing the violin, and with my ear for music, I was able to learn how to beat match in just a few months. From that point, I just used my local network to find house parties that wanted a DJ and to local venues who would give a new guy a chance. In other words, one thing led to another and I was at the right place at the right time. The best advice I have for someone is to work hard, stay creative, maintain a positive attitude, be a genuine person, and follow your heart. Eventually all the little details will work themselves out.

Perry Twins: What are your favorite current songs to spin?

DJ JST: Here are the tracks that I am loving right now! (Listed in order from lounge to peak hour club.)

Crystal Waters – Never Enough (John Kano’s Havana Funk Mix)
DJ Gomi Featuring Louie Balo & Yasmeen: Glad I Found You (Scott Wozniak Remix)
Mary Mary – Get Up (Fusion Mix)
Copyright Featuring Mr. V & Miss Patty - In Da Club
Solange – Sandcastle Disco (Freemason’s Mix)
Madonna - Miles Away (Ander Standing Hard Mix)
Gold, Diaz, & Young Rebels – Open Sesame (Chris Ortega Tribal Dub)

Perry Twins: What are some of your favorite classics?

DJ JST: Robin S – Show Me Love: This is an ultimate classic, and I was thrilled to see new mixes of this track last year.
Faithless – Insomnia: This band is a true pioneer of dance. Ahead of their time for sure.
Ce Ce Peniston – Finally: Everyone knows this song. It goes without saying.
Reina – No One’s Gonna Change You: A great track to end the night.

Perry Twins: Do you have a favorite DJ gig?

DJ JST: There’s nothing like a good ole fashion block party, when the weather is warm and everyone is happy to be out having a good time. My favorite recent event was the closing party for the Gay Softball World Series in Seattle. I had an absolute blast. I love going to that city.


Perry Twins: Where do you see the future of dance music headed?

DJ JST: Dance music is unique in that its success is very much tied to the club scene, which has been dying a slow death all across America over the course of several years and well, the situation is never going to improve unless club owners, promoters, DJ’s, producers, performers, and entertainment managers really start working together on a long term vision. At this point it is all about getting creative and bringing something unique to the table. This is why I (along with a handful of other DJs) like to perform my set on a stage and not tucked away in a dark booth. It’s psychological. If the DJ has a ton of energy and is having a good time, then so does the crowd. And it is this energy, which draws people to the club, and keeps them coming back for more. Live vocal performances are also extremely effective. I will often do my set with a singer that I have been working with. As long as we keep things fresh, the dance music industry will rebound and become better than ever. I am just happy to do my part.

Perry Twins: Tell us about the process of creating "Rejoice".

DJ JST: It was an amazing experience. Bill Friar wrote the lyrics and passed them off to Amber Dirks. She worked with Bill on a melody and recorded her vocals and sent them over to me via the Internet. I was so blown away by the power of her vocals that I was immediately able to dive in and start producing the music. The synergy between her vocals and my musical style just clicked, and so did the passion behind the individuals involved. I can not be more pleased about how the track turned out and how pleased I was with all of the remixes that we received

Perry Twins: What are you currently working on?

DJ JST: I am in the studio a lot these days. I’ve got quite a few projects on my plate, but I like to keep them confidential until right before they are released. However I can mention two of the projects we will be releasing soon. I am working with Amber Dirks on a follow up to “Rejoice” called “Standing Up”, and I am collaborating with Jacinta on a song called “Peace Be With You”.

Perry Twins: Awesome! Where can we see you DJ next in the upcoming months?

DJ JST: I have my regular residency at 28 Degrees in Boston, and my management is currently working on several opportunities for spring and summer. I prefer to spin when the weather is warm and I produce in the fall and winter.


No comments: