Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Put 'em up for Judy Torres!


Perry Twins: How did you first get involved with music professionally?

Judy Torres: I was introduced to Mickey Garcia by my first manager, George Vascones. I auditioned for him as he was looking for a singer for his music. It was then I was offered a song called "Love's Gonna Get Ya". Another one of his artists was given a song called "No Reason to Cry." She didn't like her song, and therefore, we switched. Almost a year later, "No Reason to Cry" finally hit the radio waves, thus beginning my career professionally.

PT: How do you feel the business has changed since you started out?

JT: The business of music never changes but changes all the same. Some of the politics are the same, but also there are many other resources available to those who want to be discovered that were non-existent 20 years ago.

PT: Has what you learned from being an on-air personality on NYC's WKTU influenced how you now approach writing and recording?

JT: I don't think my experience as an on-air personality influenced my writing and recording at all. I believe in writing from the heart. Of course I do admit, however, that whenever I record something now, I find myself asking, "Will this song get on the radio?" It is a goal to definitely strive for!

PT: Your new single,"Hell No," was written as a result of a domestic violence situation that your younger sister had gone through. Are your songs always written about personal experiences?

JT: The best songs written are from personal experiences because if you can communicate honestly how you feel, you will hopefully evoke a real reaction from the listeners. You ultimately want to provoke an emotional reaction with your fans. It is impossible to do that if you did not begin in an honest place.

PT: Who are some of your musical influences?

JT: My musical influences are (believe it or not) Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Liza Minnelli, Heather Headley and Linda Eder.

PT: What can currently be found on your iPod?

JT: All of the above mentioned artists, Michael Buble, Pink, Deborah Cox, Christina Aguilera, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence and much, much, much more!

PT: Where can your fans see you perform next?

JT: I will be at the Roxy on February 12th, in Orlando, Florida. Also Friday, April 3rd at the Canal Room in New York City - a concert with a band, benefiting the National Domestic Violence Hotline Organization.

PT: Those shows are definitely not to be missed! Congratulations on "Hell No"...it's really a terrific single!

www.judytorres.com

No comments: